Monday, January 05, 2009

Figures.

For the 37th straight season, the Minnesota Vikings have come up short and disappointed me, this time with an opening round 26-14 playoff loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. (I've been a Vikings fan since 1972.)

So unlike the Vikings to let me down.

Actually, the Vikes have made some good progress this season. Brad Childress took over in 2006 and led the team to a 6-10 record. Last season they were at .500, and this season theywon their first division title in eight years, with a 10-6 record. So they are heading in the right direction.

But one place that definitely needs an improvement is at QB. Tarvaris Jackson just isn't the QB of the future. He played decently in the final three regular season games, but he looked like a deer lost in the headlights in yesterday's second half. He threw an interception that was returned for a TD, led the Vikes to four three-and-outs in the second half while it was still a game, and looked totally defeated after Philly kicked the last field goal. He was 15-for-35 for 164 yards and no TDs. Not good enough. They need a veteran QB to take the next step in 2009, and you know the heat will be on Childress to keep the team going forward. There will be more expectations of better things next season.

They didn't come through for me on my birthday. Not the biggest shock in the world.

For years I always thought I'd see the Vikings win a Super Bowl before I'd see the Red Sox win a World Series. I was proven wrong on that. Now it's the Vikings I hope to see win "just one" before I die. It makes the NFC title loss in 1998 hurt all the more every year they miss the Super Bowl. It's amazing to me that the last time the Vikings were in a Super Bowl game was in 1977, 32 years ago.

On a warmer note: just 38 days until pitchers and catchers report.

No comments: