Saturday, January 03, 2009

So Far So Good

I've been checking out the newest arrival on my TV, namely the MLB Network, and so far, I've been pleased by what I've seen.

It's a pleasure to see Hazel Mae back on the screen, as she's on one of their shows (can't actually recall which one at the moment). Those of you who may not know she was a staple on Red Sox games for a few years, doing "Sports Desk" following the Sox. She's always had a cult following among Red Sox fans, and in my opinion, she was always pleasant on the eyes. I believe she's on one of their update programs.

I checked out their debut showing of Don Larsen's perfect game against the Brooklyn Dodgers from 1956. It had never been seen since the game was played and it was hosted by Bob Costas. It was simply fascinating to see games from that era and how similar, as well as different, baseball is. And they also left in the actual commercials that were broadcast that day. They really did a nice job with that program, and having Larsen and Yogi Berra live in the studio was also a nice touch.

The network also showed a lot of love to the Red Sox last night, as they showed the 2004 World Series Film, along with a short program called "Red Sox Memories" that featured the 2007 championship season. I can never get tired of seeing the 2004 World Series Film, especially the parts when me and my friends pop up. It still gives me chills when the Red Sox win it all.

The network will also be showing the terrific Ken Burns "Baseball" documentary every Tuesday night for the next nine weeks. It was originally shown in 1994 but I don't think PBS has shown it in its entirety since. I'll be sorry to miss it, as I'll be doing Trivia every Tuesday night.

I love the fact baseball now has a place on TV you can go for news and info 24/7. So far I like what I see. Let's hope the MLB Network keeps it going.

4 comments:

Peter N said...

Hi John...we get it here in Farmington on Comcast ch. 268...I wish there was a separate HD MLB channel,but they will add it when MLB does. It's a great addition to the cable lineup.
Hazel who? (Kidding!)

BklynSoxFan said...

Hey Peter. I missed Hazel. Friend of mine met her a couple of years ago at Fenway and said she couldn't have been any nicer...have a good weekend.

Michael Leggett said...

Channel 174 on Time Warner, gets it in Queens, John:

Good thing you got Verizon FiOS, because Cablevision doesn't have the MLB Network.

BklynSoxFan said...

I didn't know that about Cablevision, Michael. I'm glad I'm away from that operation.