Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Prayers For a Young Friend

I was shocked to learn yesterday that Kaylee, a young lady who is a Red Sox and Patriots fan from Arizona and frequents my site often, has been diagnosed with bone cancer. Kaylee is 16 and a blogger, and has gone through a really rough time recently.

Last year she underwent heart surgery, and now has gotten some more devastating news. But she is a tough young lady, and she will get through this really difficult time in her life. I've often told her to think of the example of Jon Lester, who was diagnosed with lymphoma in September 2006. Just 13 months later, he was the winning pitcher of Game 4 of the Red Sox sweep of the 2007 World Series.

Kaylee has two blog sites, if you'd like to say hello to her:
http://kaylee2.wordpress.com/
http://kaylee-wwwtheworldaccordingtokaylee.blogspot.com/

It makes me think of the words of a brave man named Jim Valvano, the college basketball coach who stared down cancer with these inspiring words:

“Cancer can take away all my physical abilities. But it can not touch my mind and it can not touch my heart and it can not touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever. Don’t give up! Don’t ever give up!”

Hang in there, Kaylee. We're all praying for you.

4 comments:

Suldog said...

I hadn't visited Kaylee's site since around Super Bowl time. I'll head over now. Thanks, Q.

Peter N said...

Great Job, John...I wrote about this earlier in the week, and I saw your comments on her so sad blog...for some reason, the powers-that-be will not let me comment there. Thanks for being one of the good guys! And I pray for her nightly. Gee, it's not fair!
Be well....ALWAYS.

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks for the kind words, Peter. Sorry you weren't able to post on her site.

I'm sure Kaylee will get through this.

Michael Leggett said...

v-forvictory.blogspot.com, has a Special Novena Prayer for Kaylee, posted right now:

My other crew, who visits my blog, are praying on v-for victory, right now, for Kaylee