Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Talk About Fair Weather

My friend Jere alerted me on his blog, "A Red Sox Fan From Pinstripe Territory," to an article that was in the New York Times recently about an author named Jane Heller, who allegedly was a "diehard" Yankee fan, but is now "divorcing" them because they've caused her too much "heartbreak" with this train wreck of a season they've been having (after only two months). And she's entertaining the thought of being a Devil Rays fan!!

This woman is living up to every worst stereotype people have of Yankee fans.

I've known many good Yankee fans in my life, those fans who've stuck by them in good and bad times. But this is the stereotypical Yankee fan who'll throw in the towel and root for someone else when things go sour. Frankly, this woman ought to be ashamed of herself for doing such a thing, if only just for publicity for herself (and her latest book, of course). True fans of the Yankees should absolutely shun this woman.

Here's the original NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/27/sports/baseball/27cheer.html

Jere has written a superb take on this Jane Heller woman, and it's definitely worth time to read:
http://letsgosox.blogspot.com/2007/05/some-nerve.html

3 comments:

Ken K. said...

Even though I got even madder being reminded of the great performance of Armando Blownitez last night, and your stated intention to boo Barry, I heard this piece on NPR this morning about "The Carpetbagger" by Frank DeFord (Who I generally feel is a pompous ass) and I thought of you.
Enjoy!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10522764

Michael Leggett said...

I wonder if the "Bleacher Creatures" of the Current Incarnation, will jump ship?

I've seen the Bleachers empty, before, in "The Toilet".

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks for the great piece, Ken.

I hope your doggie is doing better...

Like I said before, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about Bonds. I have been a Bonds detractor since he was in Pittsburgh...At least the Giants have rid themselves of Benitez...