Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Patriots 31, Vikings 7

The New England Patriots came out firing last night in Minnesota and put up a quick touchdown, and never looked back in beating the Vikings, 31-7. Tom Brady completed his first six passes in the first drive, and tied his own personal record, throwing for 372 yards in shredding the Vikings pass defense.

And "Clamapalooza" was a big success at Professor Thom's last night, as the complete inventory of 700 clams sold out in record time. They weren't bad, even though I'm not much of a clams person (but I do like clam sauce on linguini!). I was a Vikings fan among a sea of Patriots fans last night, but I was not alone. I met two guys originally from Minnesota in the bar, and I got to talking to them late in the game. They couldn't believe I was a Vikings fan from Brooklyn.

"That wouldn't be Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, would it?" one of the guys asked me. "No, I'm from Brooklyn, across the river Brooklyn, to be exact," I said. I further explained how I was a big Fran Tarkenton and Purple People Eaters fan back in the 1970s. It was still nice to know I wasn't alone at the bar last night.

It's clear the Vikings need a new QB, and that Brad Johnson's just not a full-time QB anymore. (He's thrown only 4 TDs this entire season, while tossing 7 interceptions, including three last night.) But of course that didn't stop loudmouth analyst Joe Theismann from saying that "the Vikings should reward Johnson with a contract extension."

Who the hell is he trying to kid? The Vikings can't get the ball in the end zone with their current offense (and their only TD was a punt return last night). As soon as they fell behind 17-0 in the second quarter last night I turned to one of my friends and said, "This game's over. The Vikings can't score." And I was right. The Patriots looked very good on both sides of the ball, especially after scoring that first TD. The Vikings rely too much on their defense to bail them out.

(I find this new announcing crew of Theismann, Mike Tirico and Tony Kornheiser rather annoying, and I know I'm not alone. I generally don't like three-man booths. Tirico's better on college football, and Kornheiser's MUCH better on the "PTI" program. And Theismann just NEVER shuts up.)

The Vikings have the number one defense in the NFL against the rush, but need help on their pass defense. I like the strides they've made under new coach Brad Childress, but they really need a new QB. Tarvaris Jackson, just drafted this spring, maybe their future star, but is not ready yet (and is recovering from a knee injury in practice). They also need help in their receiving core as well.

The Patriots were clearly the better team last night, and the future for the Vikings is next season. They do have an easy schedule the next four weeks (San Francisco, Green Bay, Miami and Arizona coming up). They have a shot at the playoffs, being 4-3 right now. I'd be happy with a 9-7 finish, but we'll see what happens.

Last night just proves they still have a long way to go.

6 comments:

FINY said...

I said it last night and I'll say it again, it was REALLY weird rooting against you last night.

Suldog said...

Q:

Take heart. The Vikings aren't as bad as they looked last night. The Patriots were just clicking on all cylinders. I wouldn't say it's out of the question for your Vikings to make a Wild Card and, outside of Chicago, I don't think they're entirely outclassed. Maybe not even Chicago - I want to see them up against a really good defense before we have the coronation :-)

Yes, Minnesota does need another QB, but Johnson isn't the worst by a long shot.

BklynSoxFan said...

It was strange being on the other side of the fence while just about everyone else was pulling for the Pats. Fortunately, it was just a one-time thing, FINY...

Fortunately, Suldog, the Vikings do have an easy schedule in the near-future, and making the playoffs isn't out of the question. The Pats looked awfully good last night, and the showdown with Indy next weekend should be fun.

And I will be back with the Pats next week, FINY...

FINY said...

Thank GOD. I don't know that I could handle having to try to glare at you again. :)

Peter N said...

Hi Sul, and FINY. And Q, next week with the Pats and the Colts should be fun. Mr. Brady, while Peyton surely was watching the game, put on a hell of a statement. And a show!

BklynSoxFan said...

And I'm sure Professor Thom's will be rocking on Sunday night even more than it did this past Monday...