Thursday, October 19, 2006

October 19: A Memorable Day Throughout My Life

I guess everyone has those days of their lives that they will always remember. For me, October 19 is one of those days that pops up a number of times in different years. I've always had a good memory for dates, and today is an anniversary for many incredible things that happened to me over the years.

1984: It was 22 years ago today that I started at Tower Records in Greenwich Village. I was a nervous wreck that day, trying to get accustomed to this huge record store with big crowds of people coming in, and trying to get a handle on how to run a cash register, which I had never done before. By the end of the day, it left my head spinning. I was put on a probationary period, and I figured I'd be there at least 6 months. I moved up in the store, reaching CD buyer, supervisor and rock floor manager, and I stayed until December 1990.

1993: On this day I got the word that I was promoted to a full sales rep in a music distribution company I worked for called Bayside. They were owned by many of the same people who owned Tower. I had been an assistant to begin with, but since there was only rep for the New York area, they needed someone else to take part of the territory, so I go the call. I would remain a rep for them for nearly seven years. I lost my job back in 2000 because of a backroom deal they made with another company Bayside merged with, so they aren't a part of Christmas list any more.

2001: Five years ago today, I finished writing a memorial for my late friend Joyce, who died in the World Trade Center. I spent the better part of three nights writing it. I knew in my heart I had to write something to honor her memory. It was an amazing three nights, as the words just flowed out of me, and I never once crossed out a word and tore up a piece of paper and started again. I went down to Ground Zero for the first time the next day, which was a life-altering experience. I read my words to three friends I went down there with aftrerwards, and they were moved to tears by it. I didn't realize it at the time, but the memorial set in motion my long-standing desire to write. It is one of the proudest things I have ever done in my entire life.

2004: Every Red Sox fan knows this date by heart. It was Game 6 of the 2004 ALCS at Yankee Stadium, and Curt Schilling took the mound with what appeared to be a red mark on his right sock, and it was in fact blood seeping through a surgical procedure that took place the previous night to allow him to pitch on a damaged ankle that would require surgery after the season. What happened was one of the most courageous and memorable pitching performances of all time, and the Red Sox won, 4-2, and forced a Game 7 the next night, the first team to do that in postseason baseball history. (Just wait until tomorrow's post!!) I saw that game at a packed Riviera Cafe in the West Village and it was one of the most memorable nights of my life, and in more ways than you would think.

Now if the Mets can win tonight, I can add another chapter to my "October 19 Wall of Memories."

2 comments:

Michael Leggett said...

& some "Slap-Happy" Guy Named "Slappy Mc Bluelips", sealed the Yankees Fate:

Will Puljols be the same type of jerk?

WelshSoxFan said...

I was at that game and had no idea about the red sock until I called a friend to ask him if Bellhorn's home run left the park or not. I remember clearly him saying 'dude, you probably can't see this from where you are, but it looks like Schilling's ankle is bleeding'

Hopefully October 19th 2006 will become a date I always remember also!!