Sunday, October 22, 2006

Fenway Far East

My friend Adam sent me a link today to a fascinating article written by a writer named Wright Thompson, about a Japanese Red Sox fan named Yasuyuki Ohta who founded a sports bar in his native city of Kyoto and called it, "Fenway Park."

According to the article, one of the few English phrases Mr. Ohta knows is, "Yankees Suck."

He's truly a member of Red Sox Nation.

But my favorite part of the article was the fact that they often show the 2004 World Series video, especially now as the World Series is currently going on. As many of you know, me and my friends make a few appearances in that very video. I thought it's such a cool thing to realize that over 10,000 miles from Greenwich Village, there are Red Sox fans in that bar, many of them Japanese and probably some Americans, watching me and my buddies ("The Embedded Red Sox Fans") celebrating the immortal 2004 Red Sox championship on their video screens.

That will always make me smile.

Here is the complete article. It's worth a read: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=thompson_wright&id=2633625

3 comments:

Suldog said...

Fun stuff. Thanks, Q.

BklynSoxFan said...

Anytime, Suldog.

Michael Leggett said...

"Yankees SUCK" is fun in ANY Language.