Wednesday, September 29, 2010

157

The end came for the Red Sox playoff hopes on Tuesday night, as New York won in Toronto, 6-1. That was it, and it didn't matter what happened to the Sox in Chicago.

The White Sox came from behind and beat the Red Sox, 5-4, in case you were curious.

In the beginning of this month, I would never have thought the Red Sox would still have a playoff pulse on Tuesday, September 28th. It took until Game 157 for the end to arrive.

It's a great tribute to manager Terry Francona that the Red Sox were still going this late. They've made the Nation proud. I'm sad tonight, but I am glad to see them end it this way. Fighting tooth and nail.

There are still a few things to shoot for. Jon Lester goes for number 20 and Clay Buchholz tries to win the ERA title this weekend.

For those of you who are sad like me that 2010 did not result in a postseason berth, there is something that I know will cheer you up. "The Tenth Inning", the "Baseball" follow-up by Ken Burns, debuted tonight, and part 2 is on Wednesday night. (I DVR'd tonight's episode.) And part 2 will feature The Comeback.

Popcorn and chills down my spine are expected when I watch it.

1 comment:

Peter N said...

I'm going to DVR AND watch tonight's episode. I know I'm going to want to watch it more than once.

The fact that the Red Sox, with all the injuries, will get to 90 wins is amazing. They need three more.