Sunday, July 12, 2009

Pedroia Will Miss The All-Star Game

Dustin Pedroia will miss the All-Star Game in St. Louis this Tuesday, and will stay in Boston with his wife Kelli. She's going through a difficult time with her pregnancy, and Dusty decided to stay with her.

AL manager Joe Maddon added Carlos Pena to the roster to replace Pedroia.

A statement from Dustin today (from MLB.com):

"After consulting with Tito, Theo, Phyllis Merhige of Major League Baseball and my wife, Kelli, I have decided to withdraw from this year's All-Star Game in St. Louis. I will instead stay in Boston with my wife as we tend to a family health matter.

This was certainly not an easy decision. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the game of baseball and for the All-Star Game and am incredibly honored that the fans voted me this year's starting second baseman for the American League. I am disappointed that I will not be able to enjoy the amazing experience with the other All-Stars, especially with my Red Sox teammates, but it is important that I put my family first at this time.

I want to thank Major League Baseball as well as Tito and Theo for supporting me in this decision. I also want to thank the fans for their understanding and the continued support they have shown throughout my career."

All the best to Dustin and his wife and that everything turns out fine.

No comments: