Saturday, March 10, 2007

A Great Ireland Website

My aunt sent me a link to a great web site about a county in the west of Ireland. It's called "Mayo On The Move" and it's all about one of the most beautiful places in all the Emerald Isle: County Mayo.

I have to admit I am prejudiced here, as both of my father's parents were born in Castlebar, which is one of the biggest towns in the entire county. The web site, at www.mayohistory.com, gives you a ton of information about Mayo, from its history to great places to stay while visiting. It also gives you a breakdown of many of the individual towns in the county as well.

Mayo was also one of the hardest hit areas in Ireland during the Potato Famine of the mid-19th Century. But my ancestors were some of the toughest people who stayed through it.

St. Patrick's Day is just a week away, so I thought I can my ancestral home a shout out tonight. I have yet to get to Mayo, but it's one of those things I have promised to do before I die.

3 comments:

Peter N said...

Q, you have plenty of time before "that." And your tribute to Mayo was great.

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks so much Peter. Always good to hear from you....

Michael Leggett said...

I was in Ireland, driving in the Ancestral land, just as the roads were being upgraded. I was in a wee pub, where they stated that they carried Red Sox & Mets games, via satellite,as TV 38 & WWOR were seen there. I'm curiovs about what they thought about RemDawg & "The Master of The Obvious Observation", now on FOX.