Monday, March 05, 2007

A Very Heroic Comeback Begins

In a "B" game against the Minnesota Twins minor leaguers today, Jon Lester threw one scoreless inning, three up and three down, and just eight pitches, as he comes back from cancer.

So far, so good. Here are some observations from Jon, courtesy of Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:

“There were some nerves. I didn’t know where the first pitch was going to go, but it was a strike. ... I wasn’t worried about how many pitches or innings I threw; I just wanted to throw well and move on to the next step.”

"It's great. Just to get back and be normal again is awesome. Just to get back on the mound and throw the baseball and not worry about other things. So it's good and I enjoyed it and, hopefully, we just build from here."

On whether he was nervous leading up to this outing, “I tried not to think about it and treat it like a normal game, and take it from there,” he said.

On whether he was frustrated about not going beyond one inning: “No, I understand, I know that the team has my best interests at heart... I'll get my work in one way or the other, so we'll just take it slow and go from here."

It's a great first step. We're all pulling for you, Jon.

No comments: