Monday, March 12, 2007

Let's Hope This Rumor Dies

I saw a disturbing rumor over at MLB Trade Rumors that the Red Sox recently inquired to the Giants about the availability of Armando Benitez.

Oh God.

Don't get me started on Benitez. He was the Shea Stadium whipping boy for years after he took over the closer role from John Franco. Many Mets fans still hold him responsible for the 2000 World Series loss to the Yankees, when he walked Paul O'Neill to start the bottom of the ninth of Game 1 that led to the tying run scoring and the Yankees winning in the 12th inning. (To be fair, it was a great at-bat by O'Neill, and I don't think Benitez deserved all the blame for the World Series loss that year.)

He was just never a reliable closer. He seemed to wilt too much under pressure. If I'm the Red Sox now, I'd rather take the chance on Joel Piniero that bring in Benitez. Mike Timlin's having oblique ailments and has been forced to be shut down for a week, so the Sox are clearly looking elsewhere. I just don't think Benitez is the answer.

Here's the story at MLB Trade Rumors:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/03/red_sox_inquire.html

Also, a Happy Birthday to Mike Timlin today. Sarge turns 41. Get well soon, my friend.

4 comments:

Michael Leggett said...

THE Armando Benitez?

Theo, that's a PHILLIPS Move & even George Costanza wouldn't make that move.

Michael Leggett said...

Since much of RSN does head to Shea Stadium on several occasions, I think they could chant "You Suck, Benitez", as well as any Mets Fans:

It would be louder than in Shea, though.

Ken K. said...

As a lifelong Giants fan, I say the Sox should make that trade.

If they do, I feel it only fair to warn you to double-deadbolt the Donut shops and keep him away from slow-moving pets and children.

He's always hungry.

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks but no thanks, Ken. He can stay a problem with the Giants...

He doesn't miss many meals, even back in his Mets days.