Sunday, December 24, 2006

A Very Merry Christmas To You All

I want to wish all of you out there a very Merry Christmas. I hope Santa Claus is good to all of you, and that you spend the next few days with those you love.

I leave you all with this comforting scene:



This is from "The Yule Log," a tradition that was started by WPIX-TV here in New York in 1966. It is a simple burning log, with classic Christmas music playing in the background. It was originally filmed at a fireplace at Gracie Mansion, the home of New York City's mayor. (There's a good web site to check out about the Yule Log's history: www.theyulelog.com.) It was a big hit from the first time it was broadcast. Some of my early memories of Christmas were of watching the burning log on Christmas Eve just before going to bed and waiting for Santa to arrive.

The Yule Log remained a New York staple until 1989, when the station made a truly dumb decision to yank it. There were many protests, but WPIX left it on the shelf for over a decade.

In 2001, it was brought back, in some ways in response to the terror attacks of September 11. It brought back wonderful memories for people, and even some comfort, and now it is a staple on Christmas morning. It will be broadcast on Channel 11 for three hours on Monday morning beginning at 9 AM. I'll be watching of course. I will also be watching Midnight Mass from both the Vatican and St. Patrick's Cathedral early on Christmas morning as well.

I'll always be a man who believes in traditions.

I probably won't be posting again until Tuesday, so I hope you all have a blessed and lovely Christmas.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just premiered my 2nd blog:

Link is at top of link list;

Should be interesting!

Peter N said...

And you too...you bless US with your wonderful writing....

BklynSoxFan said...

And you do too, Peter. Have a safe and wonderful holiday my friend...

KAYLEE said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too:]
Thanks for stopping by my blog.Yes I am very optimistic about this '07 team:)

Anonymous said...

I'm also a man of tradition, John:

on my birthday, I will be attending a Latin Mass in Manhattan at St Agnes Church, in 20 days;

It will be traditional;

Can you say "Gloria In Excelcis Deo"?

Anonymous said...

They did something similar this year around here. The Derry, NH, station on Comcast cable (cannot recall the call letters or else I'd give them a real plug) had a blazing hearth and Christmas music all day. It was a bit cornier than the yule log of your past - partially animated, I believe, and cartton Christmas stockings hung - but still a pleasant surprise to find.

BklynSoxFan said...

"The Yule Log" has been the butt of a few jokes, but I've always enjoyed it. I'm glad to hear it's been expanded to other places around the country.