Sunday, December 10, 2006

TowerReunion.com

This past Wednesday night, I found myself in my old haunt, the Tower Records store in Greenwich Village. As you all know, the chain is being liquidated and all the stores are being closed. It was terribly depressing being in there, seeing the once-great store being stipped down to the bare walls.

I ran into an old friend of mine who told me about a web site that was set up by some Tower employees in Sacramento called, "TowerReunion.com." It is a message board to keep current and past Tower employees up to date on what's going on as the end approaches, as well as sharing fond memories of our experiences working for the chain. Click this link to see the site: http://www.towerreunion.com.

I went on the board and immediately saw people on it I hadn't seen or heard from in years. And some of the stories shared brought a big smile to my face. There was a really sad thread there for a remembrance of Tower employees who've passed away. (I left a couple of posts for my dear friends who are no longer with us.)

This was certainly a great idea for all of us who shared a great experience of working for Tower Records to keep in touch. It was one of the best times of my life, as I made a lot of great friends and have about 10 million memories of my time at Tower Greenwich Village.

It's very sad that the chain is coming to an end, but for all of us, we'll always be bonded together in the Tower Family.

I was proud to have been part of Tower Records, and I'll never, ever forget it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's fucking depressing that there's going to be no more Tower Records. I can't even fathom it.

Having worked at an independent CD store in Greenwich Village myself, I can certainly relate (St Marks Pl btwn 2nd and 3rd). It was easily the greatest and most enjoyable job I've ever had.