Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Bring Back The Rivalry!

I got an interesting email from my friend John in Omaha, Nebraska, and he told me about an online petition going around to bring back the Nebraska-Oklahoma game every year. They are in different divisions now in their conference, and are meeting this weekend for The Big 12 championship.

But the fans in the Midwest want the game to be a yearly event again. I remember in my youth the NU-OU always being a big deal on TV, and I can only imagine what it was like in Nebraska and Oklahoma. I didn't realize at the time that they didn't meet every year, but it would be great if it was brought back. I always liked the Cornhuskers in my younger days. (Notre Dame has always been my favorite, but Nebraska always played entertaining football and I got to liking them.)

So John sent me along this online petition, so I've decided to put it up here. I signed it yesterday, and the good folks in Nebraska hope to get 85,000 signatures, enough to fill Nebraska's home stadium.

Here is the link to the petition: http://nu-ou-forever.org

Good luck to the Cornhuskers on Saturday. Kick some Oklahoma butt!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny, Q, I was thinking something similar the other day. I remember a Nebraska-Oklahoma game as being one of the first football games I ever saw on TV. I'm afraid I pestered my Dad with far too many silly questions ("What's a Husker?") but it remains a very pleasant memory and I always look forward to when they play.

Jere said...

Quinn--did you know I went to the University of Nebraska? Yeah, we stopped playing them every year, will be cool to play them for the Big 12 title--first time it's happened since they divided the conference.

Jere said...

And glad you're on the "good" side of the rivalry!!!

BklynSoxFan said...

Jere: I didn't know you went to Nebraska...very cool! I always liked the Cornhuskers, especially back in the 1970s. They always seemed to win almost every game by 30 or 40 points back then!

Suldog: I also have pleasant memories of watching college football when I was a kid, as Nebraska was my second favorite team after ND...