Monday, November 13, 2006

8 Months and 400 Posts

It was eight months ago today that I started The Mighty Quinn Media Machine, and coincidentally, this is the 400th post I've put up. (50 posts a month, not bad, eh?) It continues to be a blast writing this blog, and hopefully I'll reach 600 posts on my first anniversary!

It was another lost weekend for the Vikings. They jumped out to a 14-10 lead over Green Bay yesterday, but an 82-yard TD pass from Brett Favre to Donald Driver with 48 seconds to play before halftime doomed them. The Vikings could only manage a field goal by the last minute of the game, and they wound up losing, 23-17. They just continue to struggle on offense big time. They are now 4-5, and any chance of winning a wild card berth continues to decline with each passing week.

I was at Professor Thom's yesterday, along with many Patriots fans, as the Jets pulled an upset, 17-14, in the rain and fog at Foxboro. It wasn't the best played game by either team, but the Jets led from start to finish. The crowd at the bar was rather unhappy, but there were a few Jets fans on hand. No matter how the rest of the year goes, it has been a step up for the Jets from 2005.

As for the Giants, it was a competitive game last night with the Bears until a 52-yard field goal attempt came up short, and it was returned by Devin Hester for a 108-yard TD, tying the record for the longest TD run in NFL history. The Giants were cooked after that, and Chicago went on to a 38-20 win. It now appears that the Bears are the class of the NFC, as they've bounced back nicely after last week's pounding they took at the hands of the lowly Miami Dolphins.

Good news for Notre Dame and Rutgers fans, as they both moved up in the BCS rankings. The Fighting Irish is now #5, and the Scarlet Knights are now #6 overall. The major upsets on Saturday helped both move up. It promises to be an exciting finish for both teams as the regular NCAA season comes to a close.

94 days until pitchers and catchers report. It's never to early to start counting, even if the winter weather still hasn't arrived yet.

5 comments:

Suldog said...

A whole slew of upsets (or near upsets) both yesterday and in college ball on Saturday. Blew me out of the water in a number of season-long handicapping pools I'm in :-(

BklynSoxFan said...

It took me a long time to realize, Suldog, that trying to pick the winners vs. the spread in football games is rather foolish. I don't mind being in pools mostly for fun. Here in NYC, they have those "experts" trying to handicap games on the weekends, and they have their season long records posted, and most of them are right around .500.

If I flipped a coin in the air to pick every game I probably would do just as well as them...LOL

I loved all those upsets, especially on Saturday, as it moved Notre Dame up to #5 in the BCS...

HED said...

Congrats on the anniversary! My Broncos pulled out the win (barely) over the Raiders which always makes it a better Monday. Congrats on the Irish moving up.

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks so much, Hed. I knew your Broncos couldn't lose to Oakland yesterday. Everybody seems to be ignoring your boys, but they could be a sleeper team come playoff time...

Peter N said...

Congrats on your first 400..I am approaching quickly my one year anniversary on Nov. 20. I will post about it then. And if it weren't for people like you, I wouldn't be here! So thanks.