Friday, July 23, 2010

A Special Birthday Celebration

For those folks who check out my blog in Los Angeles, I thought I would alert you to a special event occurring there next month.

The great jazz vocalist Jimmy Scott will be doing a special gig at the House of Blues on Sunset Blvd. on August 5th, and it will be in celebration of his 85th birthday (which actually occurred this month). My good friend Alex Minasian is Jimmy's piano player, and I saw Alex with Jimmy and his quartet last year in New York, and they put on a terrific show. And Jimmy is a nice man as well, as I got a chance to meet him after the show.

It will be a very special night, and Jimmy will be joined by such musical greats as Deniece Williams, Joe Henry and Billy Vera.

It's an 8:30 PM show that night and all tickets are a $35 general admission. Jimmy has been slowed by health problems in recent years, but bless him, he still has the pipes to put on a good show. And his band is really tight. If you'd like more information about the House of Blues gig, please check out this link.

I wish I could be there. Happy Birthday, Jimmy!

No comments: