Monday, March 15, 2010

RIP Captain Oveur

The great actor Peter Graves passed away tonight, just four days before his 84th birthday. He'll always be remembered for his roles in "Mission Impossible," the spy in "Stalag 17" and his hosting the "Biography" series on A&E for years.

But for me, when you say his name, I will always think of Captain Clarence Oveur in "Airplane!" It was sheer genius his being cast by the Zucker brothers in a such a great comedy film, along with such other "serious" actors as Leslie Nielsen, Robert Stack and Lloyd Bridges. (Of course, Stephen Stucker stole the movie as "Johnny." But that's a discussion for another time.)

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Graves. I leave this scene here as a tribute to you:

3 comments:

Jere said...

While I was looking at Airplane stuff, I came across a montage of all the "Johnny the Office Boy" bits, did you see that one?

Jere said...

(On YouTube, I mean.)

BklynSoxFan said...

Didn't see them, Jere, but I'll check them out. Thanks. Love that Johnny!