Monday, November 26, 2007

For the Final Year of Shea

The Mets unveiled a new patch they will wear for all home games in the 2008 season. It is to commemorate the 45th and final year of Shea Stadium, as the Mets will be moving into Citi Field, which is being built across the Shea parking lot as we speak.

I like patches that teams wear on their sleeves to remember special anniversaries and such. I do like this one, as it shows two versions of Shea, with the New York skyline in the background, and the years the stadium was in existence on the front. I liked it so much I put it on my blog, right above the "Mets Links" section.

And it's hard to believe but Shea Stadium will have lasted the exact number of MLB seasons that Ebbets Field lasted, 45 years. The much-beloved home of the Brooklyn Dodgers opened in 1913 (a year after Fenway debuted) and was around until the Dodgers left the borough in 1957.

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Is Shea really decrepit, or falling apart? Just fugly? What is the reason for building a new park in the same vicinity?

(I should know this stuff, I suppose, but I've been busy :-) )

BklynSoxFan said...

Shea is old and always in need of repair. It doesn't have Fenway or Wrigley's charm, and it won't be missed when it's gone. They have a huge parking lot, so it was the logical place to build the new park.