Thursday, November 22, 2007

I'm Thankful


Thanksgiving Day has always been one of my favorite days of the year. It is a day to be with families and be thankful for what you have in life. When I think of Thanksgiving, I always think of a number of things right away. Turkey, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie; football on TV (the Detroit Lions usually losing and the Dallas Cowboys usually winning); the great Peanuts special (I missed it this year because it was on last night while I was doing Trivia); "March of the Wooden Soldiers" with Laurel and Hardy on Channel 11 on Thanksgiving morning; the great Arlo Guthrie singing "Alice's Restaurant" on Q-104.3 at noon every year; and of course seeing Santa Claus on TV riding down Broadway in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. (Remember, it's NOT officially the Christmas season until that event happens!)

But of course, there are many other things I am thankful for, and on this Thanksgiving I thought I'd list a few (in no particular order).

For my family and friends. I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful and caring people in life. I have a great family for which I am thankful every day. Many of my best friends came into my life in recent years, through watching the Red Sox games at Professor Thom's and other establishments. And many others, especially courtesy of the Internet, came into my life because of one terrible morning in 2001. Even something special can come out of the worst imaginable catastrophe.

For good health. I knew not smoking when I was younger would pay off some day.

For seeing the Red Sox win not just one, but two championships. When I met Red Sox owners John Henry and Tom Werner back in June, I thanked them both "for making my life in New York City so much more bearable." And thanks also for re-signing both Mike Lowell and Curt Schilling.

For our military. Thousands of them are away from their families during the holidays, and they are in my prayers every night. I thank God I live in a country where so many brave men and women put their lives on the line so I can live in a free nation. I admire them so much, and they are better people than I could ever be. That goes especially for those soldiers who've made the supreme sacrifice.

For all of my readers. I thank all of you for making The Mighty Quinn Media Machine such a success, and a joy to write. The feedback I get from you is great. I'm glad many of you have let me know you enjoy my ramblings.

I want to wish all of you, whether I know you or not, a very blessed Thanksgiving.

No comments: