Saturday, July 07, 2007

A Tale of Two Schillings

When I was at the Brooklyn Cyclones game on Thursday night, I noticed that their leadoff hitter was a second baseman named Micah Schilling. When I first heard that, I wondered if he could be related to Curt. Then I really started to wonder when I saw in the game program that he was wearing number 38. Micah's from Louisiana, and after doing a Google search, discovered he's not related to Curt. I found this article in "The Brooklyn Paper" from last week:

He wears number 38, and his name is Schilling. Same number. Same spelling as Boston’s star right-hander.

No relation.

So Micah Schilling must at least be a fan of Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, right? “Not really,” said Brooklyn’s Schilling. “I was originally given uniform number 7, but that’s Fonzie’s (manager Edgar Alfonzo's) number, so they took that back. They gave me number 38 because it was the only jersey left that fit.”

Mystery solved.

"38" was the only one that fit, eh? Maybe he ought to become a fan of Curt's, or just change his number to avoid having curious people like myself wondering if there's a connection.

By the way, was that a shade of "red" I saw on Micah's blue sock last Thursday, or was I just seeing things?

1 comment:

Michael Leggett said...

I can see that guy's blog as "38surefirecoverupstoriesastowhohereallyis.com