Monday, April 13, 2009

A Classic Voice is Gone

I was saddened today to learn that we lost a great voice in the sports world, as Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas collapsed in the broadcast booth as he was preparing to call today's Phillies-Nationals game in Washington and died shortly after that. He was 73.

Mr. Kalas had a very distinct, mellow and fluid way of calling a game. I wasn't a Phillies fan but I can remember in my youth listening to games on the radio at night and hearing Phillies games on WCAU-AM as clear as a bell. He did games for the Phillies since 1971, and won the Ford C. Frick Award from the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002.

Mr. Kalas also did lots of voice over announcing, as well as for NFL Films during the football season. But I guess his most famous call was of Mike Schmidt's 500th home run in 1987:

"Swing and a long drive, there it is, number 500! The career 500th home run for Michael Jack Schmidt!"

I offer my condolences to all the Phillies fans who grew up with him. Thanks for the memories, Mr. Kalas.

1 comment:

Suldog said...

I'm always saddened by the loss of a great sports voice. I enjoyed Kalas on the rare occasions I got to hear him (when the signal bounced off of enough clouds to reach Boston, and I was searching for a baseball broadcast to listen to.)