Friday, September 28, 2007

Thank You Melvin Mora!

In a scene reminiscent from the hit film, "Major League," Melvin Mora laid down a gorgeous bunt with two outs in a tie game, and drove in the winning run, as the Baltimore Orioles came from behind to beat the New York Yankees, 10-9 at Camden Yards. (The bunt also did remind me of the one Ramon Hernandez laid down against the Red Sox in extra innings to beat them in Game 1 of the 2003 ALDS in Oakland.)

Combined with the Red Sox 5-2 win at Fenway Park over Minnesota, the Red Sox have ended the nine-year Evil Empire reign of terror in the AL East, and the Red Sox win their first division title since 1995.

The Yankees were one out away from victory in the ninth and were leading, 9-6, when former Red Sox outfielder Jay Payton hit a bases loaded triple to tie the game off Mariano Rivera. New York had a golden opportunity to take the lead in the tenth, as they had the bases loaded and one out, but couldn't get anyone in. Baltimore then loaded the bases with one out, and Kevin Millar couldn't do the Sox a favor, but instead struck out looking. Mora then caught everyone by surprise by laying down a gorgeous bunt to score Tike Redman from third to give the Red Sox the AL East crown.

Daisuke Matsuzaka pitched a beauty tonight at Fenway for his 15th victory, going eight innings and giving up just two runs while striking out eight. Jonathan Papelbon pitched a perfect ninth for his 37th save. David Ortiz continued his hot hitting, belting his 35th homer in the eighth to ice the victory.

I truly enjoyed this victory, as I can now go to my buddy Chris' wedding tomorrow in New Jersey and not have to check my cell for updates every five minutes.

And as I write this, I'm enjoying one of my favorite beers, Corona Light, and I raise my bottle (which is tough to do and write on the keyboard at the same time) to the 2007 AL East Champion Boston Red Sox. And also a special nod to one Melvin Mora for his spectacular bunt to win it. (Thanks also to my dad who mentioned the film "Major League" to me right after it happened.)

Thanks also for making the trip down to New Jersey on Saturday even more special.

No comments: