We had another huge crowd turn out for Trivia Night, with 24 teams taking part. It rained a good part of the night, but it sure didn't keep the crowds away.
We had some strong scores for General Knowledge, but they were just so-so for Civil War Trivia and Who's Older Trivia. It was very close going into IQ Trivia, with two teams tied heading in. The questions were tougher than usual for the round, but three teams managed to get at least 3 correct. And one of them was The John Wilkes Booth (an appropriate name for Civil War Trivia), who managed to enter the Winner's Circle with a four point victory and 41 points. Nice job, guys.
Second place went to Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead! Good Riddance Cathie Black! and third place went to The Next Round Is On The House with 34 points.
Best Team Name: I'm Not a Street Hooker, I'm a Roadside Massage Therapist
An important message about next week: the Boston Celtics will be playing a playoff series next week and the NBA has not announced the playoff schedule yet. There is a possibility that there will be a game next Tuesday night. If there is one scheduled that night, we will NOT be doing Trivia Night next Tuesday. We will have it Monday night at 9 PM should that happen. If there is no playoff game scheduled for Tuesday, Trivia will go on as scheduled that night. Please stay tuned to this blog for more details when they become available. The NBA season ends on Wednesday, so the playoff schedule should be made public by Thursday.
1. What TV host lost a bet with Jimmy Fallon that Fallon couldn't raise more than $25,000 for charity, and was forced to sing Rebecca Black's "Friday" on his show?
2. In the latest survey by the blog Journalistics, which US newspaper is the only one with more than one million followers on Twitter?
3. What famous independent politician recently said he would consider a return to politics and be Ron Paul's running mate should he run for president?
4. What country has banned movies and TV shows about time travel, calling them "disrespectful to history"?
5. The President and First Lady of what Central American country divorced last week so that she could run for president after her husband steps down later this year?
6. Manny Ramirez failed a second drug test, it was announced last Friday, and he opted to retire rather than serve a 100-game ban. What AL team did he play five games in 2011 when he quit?
7. Sidney Lumet, who directed over 50 films in a distinguished career, died last Saturday at age of 86. He never won an Oscar, but was nominated four times for Best Director. Name 2 of the 4 films.
Civil War Trivia
1. The Civil War began 150 years ago today when Fort Sumter, located in what city's harbor, was fired upon by Confederate forces?
2. What 1862 Civil War battle featured over 23,000 casualties in one day, the single deadliest day in American history?
3. Over 12,000 Union soldiers died in the prisoner of war camp at Andersonville Prison. What southern state was Andersonville located in?
4. What number amendment ended slavery when it became law in 1865?
5. What was the first capital of the Confederacy, before Richmond, VA?
6. What city was the site of the famous Draft Riots of 1863?
7. The Battle of Little Round Top was fought at what famous Civil War battle site?
Who's Older Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Oprah Winfrey or Whoopi Goldberg?
2. David Letterman or Jay Leno?
3. Alex Rodriguez or Derek Jeter?
4. Stephen King or John Grisham?
5. Al Pacino or Robert DeNiro?
6. Paul McCartney or Mick Jagger?
7. George W, Bush or Bill Clinton?
8. Jay Z or P. Diddy?
9. Christina Aguilera or Britney Spears?
10. Madonna or Sharon Stone?
1. What actor portrayed Cliff Huxtable on TV? ( 1 pt)
2. How many centimeters are in one meter? ( 1 pt)
3. What country in the world has the most nuclear reactors? ( 1 pt)
4. On what day of the week did Christopher Columbus discover the island of Dominica? ( 2 pt)
5. Lake Titicaca is located on the border of Peru and what other country? ( 2 pt)
6. What singer had her first Top 10 hit in eight years in 2011 with the single "On The Floor?" ( 2 pt)
7. Gort is the name of the robot from what classic science fiction film? ( 3 pt)
1. Nine of the ten top producing coal mines in the US are located in what western state? ( 4 points)
2. "Operation Overlord" was the code name for what famous battle attack? ( 3 points)
3. What Paul McCartney song was the all-time best single in UK history when it was released in 1977, but barely made a dent on the US charts? ( 4 points)
4. "The Cod Wars" was a series of confrontations in the 1950s and 1970s involving the UK and what other country over fishing rights? ( 4 points)
5. What singer and movie star of the 1930s, 40s and 50s is the only celebrity to have five stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame? ( 5 points)
1. Stephen Colbert; 2. New York Times; 3. Jesse Ventura; 4. China; 5. Guatemala; 6. Tampa Bay Rays; 7. "12 Angry Men;" "Dog Day Afternoon;" "Network;" "The Verdict."
Civil War Trivia
1. Charleston, SC; 2. Battle of Antietam; 3. Georgia; 4. thirteenth; 5. Montgomery, AL; 6. New York City; 7. Gettysburg.
Who's Older Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Oprah Winfrey; 2. David Letterman; 3. Derek Jeter; 4. Stephen King; 5. Al Pacino; 6. Paul McCartney; 7. George W. Bush; 8. P. Diddy; 9. Christina Aguilera; 10. Sharon Stone.
1. Bill Cosby; 2. one hundred; 3. United States; 4. Sunday; 5. Bolivia; 6. Jennifer Lopez; 7. "The Day The Earth Stood Still."
1. Wyoming; 2. D-Day Invasion of Normandy; 3. "Mull of Kintyre;" 4. Iceland; 5. Gene Autry.