Monday, June 14, 2010

Any iPod Experts Out There?

Ever since I got my first iPod in late 2008, I've been obsessed with it. I love music with a passion, and the fact I can put my own music into my own personal listening device and not have to worry about things like commercials and songs I don't particularly care for.

I got iTunes, and I liked the fact that it kept track of when each song was played on it, and how times it's been played.

The current iPod I have is the 16GB Red Nano. It works great and I've had no major trouble with it. (I'm knocking wood as I write this.) I use it on my Trivia nights as background music for the categories and that's worked out well, too.

But I've run into a problem I can't seem to figure out why it's happening. Whenever I sync my iPod to iTunes to recharge, it no longer seems to update the play counts. I noticed it happening a couple of months back, but sometimes it would update and sometimes it wouldn't. Now, over the last 4 or 5 times I've synched it, nothing updates at all.

I've gone to two different Apple stores in Manhattan, and they both looked at me like I was crazy and seemed to have little idea what I was talking about. So, I was wondering if any of you out there in cyberspace have also had this problem, and how did you resolve it?

You can leave any responses here on the blog, or drop me a line at: jbq1462@hotmail.com. I also checked some of those online forums that Apple has, but I couldn't seem to get any straight answers there either.

UPDATE: My friend Ken suggested to me that I press "Menu" and the center button at the same time before I sync the iPod, so that the gray "Apple" logo appears. Then sync the iPod. I did that, and guess what? It worked! It updated my last played songs. Hopefully that will continue to work. Thanks, Ken.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you're not the only one...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2292484&start=0&tstart=0

Lot's of various solutions (most bad), but it seems like its pretty widespread.

- Dave

The Angry Tech said...

Hey John -- I've heard anecdotal reports of this same problem w/ the nano before. Probably just a bug -- report it to Apple and hope they care enough to fix it.