We had a big crowd in for Trivia Night on Tuesday, as 20 teams took part in the fun. We had some strong scores for both US Historic Places Trivia and Russell Crowe Film Trivia, and especially for the latter (eight teams got perfect scores). General Knowledge was a bit tougher, but the same team, Captain Planet Just Got Arrrested For Sexual Harrassment, led throughout the night going into IQ Trivia.
Only two teams managed to get as many as three correct in IQ Trivia, as it was another tough round. But one of them was the afformentioned first place team, and they wound up winning comfortably by six points. Congratulations to them, as it was their first ever win on Trivia Night.
1. This member of Barack Obama's staff was chosen as "The Most Powerful Person in DC" in the annual poll conducted by GQ magazine.
2. Captain Lou Albano died last Wednesday at the age of 76. In what field did he originally become famous?
3. A contestant named Jeff Kirby appeared on "Jeopardy" recently, but his third-place prize was revoked by producers, for something that hadn't happened in the show's history. What was it?
4. Elinor Ostrom and Oliver Williamson shared the Nobel Prize for 2009 in this field, it was announed last week.
5. This Australian pop singer made her debut in a movie in India last week, and it is believed that the film "Blue" is the most expensive Bollywood film ever made.
6. This American singer had a "wardrobe malfunction" while performing her new single on UK television on Sunday, as the strap on the back of her dress broke apart, but she completed her performance without further incident.
7. Three runners died while competing in this American city's marathon on Sunday, and autopsy results were pending on all three.
Answers: 1. Rahm Emmanuel; 2. pro wrestling; 3. It was the second time he was on the show; 4. economics; 5. Kylie Minogue; 6. Whitney Houston; 7. Detroit.
US Historic Places Trivia
1. Mount McKinley
2. Leavenworth Prison
3. Yellowstone National Park
4. Mount Rushmore
5. Fort Knox
6. Little Big Horn
7. Tombstone, home of the OK Corral
Answers: 1. Alaska; 2. Kansas; 3. Wyoming; 4. South Dakota; 5. Kentucky; 6. Montana; 7. Arizona.
Russell Crowe Film Trivia ("The Q Train")
2. Ned Kelly
3. Mystery, Alaska
4. The Quick and The Dead
5. Rules of Engagement
7. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
8. 3:10 to Yuma
9. Monster's Ball
10. Romper Stomper
Answers: 1. no; 2. no; 3. yes; 4. yes; 5. no; 6. yes; 7. no; 8. yes; 9. no; 10. yes.
1. What actor played Mr. Magorium in "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium?"
2. By what name is Erich Weiss otherwise known?
3. What was the name of the town run by Gene hackman in the film "Unforgiven?"
4. Victoria is the capital of what Canadian province?
5. Which Beatle was the first to have a solo number one song in the UK?
6. The chemical symbol Fe stands for what in the Periodic Table?
7. What is the nationality of Edvard Munch, who painted "The Scream?"
Answers: 1. Dustin Hoffman; 2. Harry Houdini; 3. Big Whiskey; 4. British Columbia; 5. George Harrison ("My Sweet Lord"); 6. iron; 7. Norwegian.
1. What English king was married to Berengaria of Navarre? ( 4 points)
2. Titania is the largest moon of what planet? (4 points)
3. Which Roman emperor was assassinated by his own Praetorian Guard in 41 AD? ( 3 points)
4. Orology is the study of what? ( 4 points)
5. What country do the Madeira Islands in the Atlantic Ocean belong to? ( 5 points)
Answers: 1. Richard the Lionheart; 2. Uranus; 3. Caligula; 4. mountains; 5. Portugal.