We had 10 teams in for Trivia at Professor Thom's on Wednesday night. The crowd was a bit off, as there were baseball fans in to watch the ALCS, but most left when it concluded. We still had a great night, and it featured many wacky team names. We had a tie going into IQ Trivia, but the boys from DIMS emerged victorious, garnering 45 points, and winning by four points. They've got another streak going, and my congratulations to them on their win.
Cocktoberfest had a great IQ Trivia round and wound up in second place with 41 points. Third place went to Carry On Hayward Son with 40 points (and they also won for Best Team Name).
1. The NY Daily News reported last week Hillary Clinton is in talks with what Ivy League school for a professor role?
2. What filmmaker said last Friday that he was "stunned" and "heartbroken" over the revelations about his friend Harvey Weinstein and was criticized for making no mention of his victims?
3. A Mississippi school district removed what classic novel from its lesson plan because of the book's language they said makes people feel uncomfortable?
4. What company announced recently they were building a second headquarters in an undetermined location, setting off a $5 billion bidding war with proposals due later this week?
5. 31-year-old Sebastian Kurz was elected to be the leader of what European nation last Sunday, the youngest leader of any country in the world?
6. What rapper led the crowd at his sold out concert in Arizona last Saturday with a chant of "F**k Donald Trump"?
7. At last 276 people were killed and over 300 people were injured last Saturday after a massive truck bomb exploded in what African country?
1. What city's river is dyed green every St. Patrick's Day?
2. Martin Balsam portrayed Mr. Green in what 1974 NYC-based film that was remade in 2009?
3.What Ivy League school's athletic teams are known as "The Big Green?"
4. What is the name of the pigment in green plants that gives them their color?
5. "Green River" was a hit single what 1960s rock band?
6. What is the name of the main character in the book "Green Eggs and Ham?"
7. What Nickelodeon TV show was known for dropping green slime on its characters?
The Q Train: 1, 2, 3, or 4 Trivia
1. On a telephone, this number key is associated with the letters G, H and I.
2. Pitcher is this number on a baseball team.
3. This is the total number of Oscars Daniel Day-Lewis has won.
4. This is the atomic number of helium.
5. This is the maximum number of times Friday the 13th can happen in any given year.
6. The total number of World Series won by the New York Mets in their history.
7. In Astrology, Aries is this number sign of the Zodiac.
8. This is the number of Noble Truths in Buddhism.
9. In bowling, this many strikes thrown in a row is called a turkey.
10. This is the number of future US presidents who signed the Declaration of Independence.
1. "XC" is what number in Roman numerals? ( 1 pt)
2. The novel "Brave New World" was written by what 20th century author? ( 1 pt)
3. What pop singer renamed herself "Sasha Fierce" for a 2008 double album? ( 1 pt)
4. The highest zip code in use, 99950, is found in what US state? ( 2 pt)
5. What song was playing when Tom Cruise famously danced in his underwear in the 1983 film "Risky Business?" ( 2 pt)
6. How many digits are in most US passports? ( 2 pt)
7. The soccer kick sometimes called "overhead" and "scissors" is more commonly known by the name of what everyday object? ( 3 pt)
1. What 20th century US president is the only president who earned a Ph.D degree? ( 4 points)
2. What 2017 TV hit's characters include Ofglen, Ofwarren and Ofsamuel? ( 4 points)
3. In 2016, President Obama signed a proclamation recognizing October 9 in honor of what historic European figure? ( 5 points)
4. The first US postage stamp honoring a black woman featured what historic 19th century figure? ( 3 points)
5. In what two films has Tom Hanks played a former military pilot? ( 4 points)
1. Columbia; 2. Quentin Tarantino; 3. "To Kill a Mockingbird;" 4. Amazon; 5. Austria; 6. Macklemore; 7. Somalia.
1. Chicago; 2, "The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3;" 3. Dartmouth College; 4. Chlorophyll; 5. Creedence Clearwater Revival; 6. Sam; 7. "You Can't Do That On Television."
The Q Train: 1, 2, 3, or 4 Trivia
1. 4; 2. 1; 3. 3; 4. 2; 5. 3; 6. 2; 7. 1; 8. 4; 9. 3; 10. 2.
1. 90; 2. Aldous Huxley; 3. Beyoncé; 4. Alaska; 5. "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll;" 6. 9; 7. bicycle.
1. Woodrow Wilson; 2. "The Handmaid's Tale:" 3. Leif Erickson; 4. Harriet Tubman; 5. "Apollo 13" and "Sully,"