It looked like it was going to be a difficult night on Tuesday, as bar manager Keith was away on vacation and we couldn't get the sound system working. So, Yours Truly had to improvise, and I had to read off the Trivia Q&A by walking up and down the bar and nearly shouting! (I did that before earlier on in my tenure at the Caledonia.) But it worked out fine, and the sound system should be in working order next week. We had a good crowd with 8 teams taking part. The rain thankfully did not keep the folks away.
The team of Show Me On The Doll Where The Trivia Host Touched You won the night easily, as they took the title by 15 points, finishing with 49 points. They also won for Best Team Name. (I have strangely seen that name somewhere before.) Congrats to Alex and his friends on their triumph.
Second place went to I Didn't Know Pudge Was Going To Hit a Home Run with 34 points, and we had a three-way tie for third, as Phil's Phan, Down With the Quizness and Mork and Mindy all finished with 27 points, so we gave them all the third place prize: a round of shots.
A Reminder: We are doing Trivia next Wednesday next week, August 20th at 8 PM. I will not be around next Tuesday, but we will return to our usual day and time on Tuesday, August 26th at 8 PM.
1. Classic rock singer Marianne Faithful claimed last week that what late rock star was actually murdered by her drug dealer boyfriend back in the 1970s?
2. Over 4,000 fans have signed an online petition to have the NFL select which pop singer, who released his 14th album last month to great fanfare, to play the Super Bowl halftime show this February?
3. The FCC is investigating NBC after they received complaints over a recent primetime special by what pop singer?
4. What US state was nearly hit by the first hurricane in over two decades last week, before it was downgraded to a tropical storm when it hit the state?
5. Five former maids who once worked for what late celebrity recently revealed some horro stories about working for him, with one calling him "the dirtiest, most unsanitary person in Hollywood?"
6. 38 people were killed in a plane crash last week when a Sepahan Airlines flight went down in what Middle Eastern country?
7. What drugstore chain, the largest in the US, is considering moving its headquarters to Europe to take advantage of a loophole in US tax laws and save billions of dollars?
US and World Geography Trivia
1. The country of Djibouti is located on what continent?
2. Over half the world's freshwater lakes are in what country?
3. The county of Flanders is located in which two European countries?
4. What is the world' third largest ocean?
5. Cape Hatteras is located in what US state?
6. What eastern US state is the second least populated state, after Wyoming?
7. What is the largest state in area east of the Mississippi River?
Robin Williams Film Trivia ("The Q Train") (Was he nominated for an Oscar or a Golden Globe?)
1. Dead Poets Society
2. Moscow On The Hudson
3. The World According to Garp
4. The Birdcage
5. Mrs. Doubtfire
7. Good Morning Vietnam
9. The Fisher King
10. What Dreams May Come
1. What city in the US is the home to the most millionaires? ( 1 pt)
2. What is the nickname for the undersea rail tunnel that connects England and France? ( 1 pt)
3. Which former Beatle was the first person to be featured on the cover of Rolling Stone? ( 1 pt)
4. What was the first color film to win an Oscar for Best Picture? ( 2 pt)
5. The 2018 World Cup soccer championship will be held in what country? ( 2 pt)
6. What is the human body's largest organ? ( 2 pt)
7. Between Mercury, Mars and Jupiter, which has the shortest day? ( 3 pt)
1. Which is the only one of the original 13 states that doesn't border the Atlantic Ocean? ( 3 points)
2. In the ten-event Olympic decathlon, what is traditionally the first event held? ( 4 points)
3. UNESCO, or the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, is headquartered in what European city? ( 4 points)
4. The breakup of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s created what new country, which surpassed Mongolia as the world's largest landlocked country? ( 5 points)
5. What 19th century US president is the only one who held a patent on his own invention? ( 4 points)
1. Jim Morrison; 2. Weird Al Yankovic; 3. Miley Cyrus; 4. Hawaii; 5. Michael Jackson; 6. Iran; 7. Walgreens.
US and World Geography Trivia
1. Africa; 2. Canada; 3. France and Belgium; 4. Indian; 5. North Carolina; 6. Vermont; 7. Georgia.
Robin Williams Film Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. yes (both); 2. yes (GG); 3. no; 4. no; 5. yes (GG); 6. no; 7. yes (both); 8. no; 9. yes (both); 10. no.
1. New York City; 2. The Chunnel; 3. John Lennon; 4. "Gone With the Wind;" 5. Russia; 6. skin; 7. Jupiter.
1. Pennsylvania; 2. 100 meters; 3. Paris; 4. Kazakhstan; 5. Abraham Lincoln.