Sunday, July 08, 2012

Staying Above Water

I made a decision before the four-game series with New York this weekend: I was going to pass on it.

The first three game have been played, with the Red Sox finally winning one on Saturday night. And I haven't seen one pitch thrown in the series.

I've found other things to do: Brooklyn Cyclones game on Friday (they beat Williamsport, 7-6, in 11 innings), I watched a film on DVD I did an as an extra on Saturday afternoon, "Man On a Ledge." (Not a bad film actually. I looked for myself in the crowd scenes on Madison Avenue and thought I saw myself. I still have some of the fake money that was used in the movie as souvenirs.) On Saturday night, I played softball (actually just practiced as we couldn't get enough guys to play).

I especially avoid the New York games, especially when Fox has a game (my friend Jere talks about some of the BS they pulled yesterday). I find the national, and especially YES coverage, to be totally unwatchable. I heard that Tim McCarver pulled a real boner yesterday, goofing on what is actually a children's cancer charity called Locks of Love.

Nice to see the Red Sox bringing up more guys from Pawtucket who are contributing, like Mauro Gomez and Pedro Ciriaco (always nice to have a guy named Pedro on the Red Sox). Gomez had three hits in the second game, and Ciriaco with four hits while driving in three in the 9-5 win. The victory also kept the Red Sox above .500, at 43-42.

The Red Sox are 2 1/2 games behind Baltimore for the final playoff spot. The first half ends tonight. I'm still not convinced this team is a postseason club, even with the expanded playoffs.

Prove me wrong guys.

No comments: