We had another banner night of Trivia at Professor Thom's on Tuesday night: 24 teams in. (That makes 52 in the last two weeks. Wow.) Once again, there was nothing special going on in the bar. There were both Celtics and Bruins games going on, but neither was that special. (Both won however.) It was just a lot of folks who wanted to play Trivia, and I am grateful for that!
We had some good scores for Florida Trivia and Super Bowl Trivia. (Although I messed the question about the largest island in the Florida Keys. It is actually Key Largo. I had it as Key West, as I made a mistake in double-checking the question. Yes, the Mighty Quinn goofs up on occasion.) It was pretty close all night, but the team of Desmond Howard's Mother Probably Has a Different Last Name came from fifth place in the third round to have two excellent rounds in General Knowledge and IQ Trivia to win by two points, getting 45 in total. A nice win by Ivy League friends, who had not been at Trivia Night in many months.
Second place went to Gronk Dates Porn Stars Because He Doesn't Fit In The Average Woman with 43 points, and third place went to Beam Me Up, Newt with 37 points.
1. What country music star won a lawsuit against a hospital in Oklahoma last week after they didn't build a wing to the hospital with money he donated in his mother's name?
2. Travel and Leisure magazine selected what major US city as "The Rudest City in America?"
3. Meryl Streep was nominated for Best Actress for "The Iron Lady" last week and set a new record for Oscar nominations with a total of how many?
4. The embattled president of what Middle Eastern country arrived in the United States for medical treatment last week?
5. It was revealed that more than 35 pounds of cocaine was shipped from Mexico City to what famous New York City location inside some hallowed-out books earlier this month?
6. The music company that owns the rights to the 1982 hit song "Eye of the Tiger" is suing which presidential candidate for using the song at rallies without their permission?
7. What Hollywood actress was taken to the hospital this past weekend and is now seeking professional help "to treat her exhaustion and improve her overall health?"
1. What FLA city is the oldest European settlement in North America?
2. Which FLA port city was the busiest military port in the USA during the 1991 Gulf War?
3. Name 1 of the 2 MLB teams that train during Spring Training in Fort Myers, FLA.
4. What drink was first developed at the University of FLA in the 1960s?
5. Within 5, how many US House of Representatives members does FLA have?
6. Which is the largest island in the Florida Keys?
7. Which Spanish explorer is credited with being the first European to set foot in FLA in 1513?
Super Bowl Trivia
1. Between the Patriots and Giants, how many total Super Bowls have they won?
2. Who is the only team to appear in four consecutive Super Bowls?
3. Who is the only team to win back-to-back Super Bowls twice?
4. How many Super Bowls have the Philadelphia Eagles won in their history?
5. In what city was the first Super Bowl played in?
6. What city has hosted the most Super Bowls?
7. In 2001, the Giants lost their only Super Bowl to what team?
1. Nairobi is the capital of what African country? ( 1 pt)
2. The Ryder Cup is awarded to countries that compete in what sport? ( 1 pt)
3. What is the cube root of 64? ( 1 pt)
4. Na is the symbol for what chemical element? ( 2 pt)
5. "Disturbia" and "Unfaithful" were hit songs by what pop singer? ( 2 pt)
6. In England, what is a "rubbish tip?" ( 2 pt)
7. At what young age was actor James Dean killed in a car accident in 1955? ( 3 pt)
1. Who was the first US president to survive an assassination attempt while in office? ( 4 points)
2. What Asian country elected a TV celebrity chef as its prime minister in 2008, but forced him to resign after 9 months due to a conflict of interest? ( 5 points)
3. What eastern US city has more bridges than any other city in the world? ( 4 points)
4. Who is the only person currently prominently pictured on US currency who was not born in the continental United States? ( 4 points)
5. What hip hop artist recorded a rap single with Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin called "Rocket Experience" in 2009? ( 3 points)
1. Garth Brooks; 2. New York City; 3. seventeen; 4. Yemen; 5. United Nations; 6. Newt Gingrich; 7. Demi Moore.
1. St. Augustine; 2. Jacksonville; 3. Red Sox and Twins; 4. Gatorade; 5. twenty-five; 6. Key Largo; 7. Ponce de Leon.
Super Bowl Trivia
1. six; 2. Buffalo Bills, 3. Pittsburgh Steelers; 4. zero; 5. Los Angeles (1967); 6. Miami (10); 7. Baltimore Ravens.
1. Kenya; 2. golf; 3. four; 4. sodium; 5. Rihanna; 6. garbage dump; 7. twenty-four.
1. Andrew Jackson; 2. Thailand; 3. Pittsburgh, PA; 4. Alexander Hamilton; 5. Snoop Dogg.