Monday, September 05, 2011

Kendry Morales: Still Forgotten After Every "Walkoff"

I know I'm a broken record on this, but if you saw the way the Blue Jays-Red Sox game ended, it's time for me to get back on that subject I've gone on and one about: dumb, stupid "walkoff" celebrations in baseball.

And I saw another one today when Brett Lawrie hit a game-winning homer to beat the Red Sox, 1-0. He did this idiotic "jump" into home plate as he scored.

When the hell are these assholes going to stop doing this stupid shit? I'm not writing this because the Red Sox lost (and now they are 2 1/2 back), but because players on ALL teams do this dumb nonsense. I've seen players pound with fists, chasing guys out to the outfield, dumping water on them, etc. You won a game in your last turn at-bat? Great. But c'mon, guys, you haven't won the goddamn World Series. Act like you've been there before and not like a pack of seven-year olds.

I know some might think of me as some oldtime fuddy-duddy. But does ANYONE in MLB remember Kendry Morales (pictured) and his gruesome and unnecessary home plate injury? Of course not.

The reason why nothing has been done about these celebrations that have led to injury is because Morales is not a superstar. (And remember also in 2010 when the Marlins' Chris Coghlan had to do another of those idiot "walkoff" rituals--shaving cream in the face--and blew out his knee in the process?) Could you imagine if Albert Pujols or Derek Jeter got as hurt as Morales did in one of these pileups? Do you think MLB would do nothing? Morales will miss more than a year and a half because he had to jump in the air when he arrived at home plate after hitting a game-winning home run and fractured his left leg. And MLB missed an opportunity to nip this shit in the bud.

I promise you all that an injury at home plate WILL happen again. It's just a matter of time.

I just pray it's not to a Red Sox player.

And on the subject of the Sox, they wasted tons of opportunities to score today (as did Toronto), and now they find themselves 2 1/2 games back, as New York won.

I just hope Josh Beckett is OK.

No comments: