Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The End

Today marks a sad day in the history of New York baseball, as today it will be the day that the final piece of Shea Stadium will be torn down and the old ballyard will officially be no more. (The final piece is the part of the park with the neon pitcher on the side of it.)

The Mets will be moving into Citi Field in April, and the place they called home since 1964 will be converted into a parking lot. I have feelings of sadness that it is gone, as it was the first major league ballpark I ever stepped foot in, on June 14, 1968. It was a Mets 7-3 win over the San Francisco Giants. (And I can tell the grandkids one day, if I ever have any, that I saw two Hall of Famers, Willie Mays and Wille McCovey, play in the first game I ever saw.)

I'm sure it's a mixed emotion day for all Mets fans. They've needed a new park for years and will be getting it in about six weeks. I can't wait to see Citi Field and check out my first game there.

Here are some photos of the Shea demolition, from Stevespak.com.

And here is a clip of that last piece hitting the ground, by way of Mostly Mets.

4 comments:

Michael Leggett said...

I'll Be sending you my clip of when the last of the stands came down.

Michael Leggett said...

BTW, I think you have a new Trivia Contest-Shea Stadium Trivia

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks for the clip, Michael.

Michael Leggett said...

Full Permission is granted to use the video, in any way, shape or form, ESPECIALLY in an A-Roid Parody!