Sunday, January 13, 2008

Peyton's Out, Eli Moves On

In a truly stunning day of playoff football, the San Diego Chargers upset the heavily favored Indianapolis Colts 28-24 (congratulations Peggy and Ken!), and the Giants beat the Dallas Cowboys, 21-17, and both teams moved into the finals in their respective conferences.

Let's be honest here. If you were told before this day that one Manning brother was playing next week, while the other was going home absolutely and 100% for sure, which one would you have picked? Eli Manning took another step towards stardom, while Peyton Manning hits the links. (And I can just hear the Pats fans cackling over that.)

And now I wonder how many Dallas fans are going to blame a certain blonde bombshell for this loss? (And I don't mean Britney Spears.) You may have witnessed today the birth of "The Curse of Jessica Simpson." (Because naturally, every loss of this magnitude these days has to have some stupid, asinine "curse" applied to it.)

I was visiting some friends in New Jersey today, so I got to see only parts of both games. But it may have been one of the biggest twin upsets in NFL history today.

Congrats to the Giants, as they move onto Green Bay, and the Chargers, as they go into the Lion's Den known as Gillette Stadium to face the Patriots next week.

7 comments:

Jere said...

Did you see the fourth quarter of that Giants game? I haven't watched much NFL all year, so I'm scratching my head as to how the Cowboys were the "team to beat" in the NFC going into that game. It was a pathetic performance. It was like they were trying to score the winning touchdown by going toward their OWN end zone. And the worst part was, I was rooting for them--because I always root against the Giants. To think, such a great Cowboy loss and

I had to be rooting FOR them. Ugh! It's always funny, though, when someone is hyped up so much, and they blow it repeatedly. That's 0-for-2 for Romo now, after last year's botched hold.

Michael Leggett said...

All These Stupid "Curses":

According to 1986 Legend, when Ray Knight was cut loose, The Mets Suffer from "C.O.R.K." or "The Curse Of Ray Knight";

Frankly, the '86 Team was broken up by Team President & (Then) Half Owner, Fred Wilpon, with GM Frank Cashen;

& Mets Fans now complain of the "C.O.J.", or "Curse Of Jeffy";

Of Course, The Yankees now suffer from the "Curse Of A-Rod", or "C.O.A.R.D.".

BklynSoxFan said...

A Dallas Cowboys loss is almost as good as a Yankees playoff loss to me...all of this "America's Team" jazz? Ugh.

Romo needs a big win next year or that Jessica Simpson nonsense will continue to haunt him...

I missed most of the fourth quarter, as I was on my way home from NJ. But I caught the end on my cell.

Suldog said...

I was rooting for The Jints because I wanted to see another Green Bay home game in the snow. I hope it's a freakin' blizzard again.

BklynSoxFan said...

In the snow: the way football ought to be played! You may get your wish, Suldog...

Jere said...

Might not be a snow game, but will be cold. 12 for a high for next Sunday in Green Bay.

Ken In San Diego said...

Thanks John! It was nice to see the Bolts shock the Colts. I hope they have a couple more left in them!