Very good news, and possibly some very bad news today. David Ortiz' contract extension was announced by the Red Sox today. He'll be around in Boston until 2010, and the club has an option for 2011. Terms were not announced but a guess would be the deal is around the $50 million one that was rumored last week.
At least this time the Sox didn't wait until the last minute to lock up one of their key players and stars.
The club also announced that Coco Crisp has a non-displaced fracture at the base of his left index finger. They said the finger would be in a splint for 10 days and then Coco could resume baseball activities after that. They also said the injury would not require surgery. Coco injured his finger sliding into third last Friday night on a steal attempt in Baltimore. If Coco goes on the DL, Adam Stern will probably hang around the Red Sox a little longer than his expected April 19 return to Pawtucket and get more time in CF, probably splitting it with Wily Mo Pena.