We had 11 teams in for Trivia on Tuesday night, as we honored the Academy Awards in our special categories. The scores in both were generally pretty strong, as most folks know their films. We had a great three-team race to the finish, with those teams separated by five points. The two giants of our Trivia Night, DIMS and Ask Your Doctor About QuinnTrivia, dominated the night, but the team of Mystery Meats, had a fabulous IQ Trivia round, getting four of five correct, and won the night with 46 points and a razor-thin one point edge over DIMS, who finished second. It was the first time at Trivia Night for Mystery Meats, and congrats to them on their victory. Ask Your Doctor About QuinnTrivia finished third with 42 points.
Best Team Name: Jared Kushner & The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
1. A man died last Thursday as he was attempting to throw a grenade over the wall of the US embassy in what small Eastern European country's capital of Podgorica?
2. Marit Bjoergen, a cross-country skiier from what country, became the most decorated athlete at the Winter Olympics ever, with 14 medals overall?
3. What Oscar-nominated film won 5 awards, including Best Film, at the British Academy Film Awards last week?
4. What Middle Eastern country says it will build its first opera house, in a nation where concerts have been banned for two decades, in an effort for more modernization there?
5. What Oscar-winning actress said last week she is planning to take off one year from acting to become an activist and to "fix our democracy?"
6. Gov. Eric Greitens, of what midwest state, was indicted last Friday by a grand jury on a felony invasion of privacy charge, allegedly taking a compromising photo of a woman he has an affair with in 2015?
7. The stock of Snapchat dropped more than 7% last Thursday, the loss of over $1 billion, after what reality TV star tweeted that she never uses that app any more?
Academy Awards Trivia
1. Who is the only actress to win four Best Actress Oscars?
2. What 1993 film is the only film based on a TV series to get a Best Picture nomination?
3. Martin Scorsese won his first Best Director Oscar for what 2006 film?
4. What film did Mel Brooks win his only Oscar for Best Original Screenplay?
5. Who hosted the Academy Awards ceremony a record 19 times?
6. For what comedy did Tom Hanks receive his first Oscar nomination?
7. Name 1 of the 3 sports films to win the Best Picture Oscar.
The Q Train: Oscar Winners' First Win Trivia
1. Helen Mirren
2. Denzel Washington
3. Paul Newman
4. Natalie Portman
5. Tom Hanks
6. Diane Keaton
7. Morgan Freeman
8. Meryl Streep
9. Sean Penn
10. Jodie Foster
1. The 'T' in the government agency TSA stands for what? ( 1 pt)
2. Darius Rucker is the lead singer in what pop/rock band? ( 1 pt)
3. "The King of Swing" was the nickname of what legendary jazz artist? ( 1 pt)
4. In the 1978 film "Midnight Express", American Billy Hayes was imprisoned in what country? ( 2 pt)
5. What is the most populous US state capital? ( 2 pt)
6. What country is home to the most Noble Prize Laureates in history? ( 2 pt)
7. A funambulist does what a circus? ( 3 pt)
1. What country had the most international tourists in 2016? ( 4 points)
2. What actor/comedian made his directorial debut in 2014 with the film "Rosewater?" ( 4 points)
3. A person with the medical condition epistaxis is experiencing what? ( 5 points)
4. Badfinger's song "Baby Blue" played during the final moments of what TV series in 2013? ( 4 points)
5. What game was once banned in the Soviet Union because it was said to promote capitalism? ( 3 points)
1. Montenegro; 2. Norway; 3. "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri;" 4. Saudi Arabia; 5. Jennifer Lawrence; 6. Missouri; 7. Kylie Jenner.
Academy Awards Trivia
1. Katharine Hepburn; 2. "The Fugitive;" 3. "The Departed;" 4. "The Producers;" 5. Bob Hope; 6. "Big;" 7. "Rocky", "Chariots of Fire, " "Million Dollar Baby."
The Q Train: Oscar Winners' First Film Trivia
1. The Queen; 2. Glory; 3. The Color of Money; 4. Black Swan; 5. Philadelphia; 6. Annie Hall; 7. Million Dollar Baby; 8. Kramer vs. Kramer; 9. Mystic River; 10. The Accused.
1. Transportation; 2. Hootie and The Blowfish; 3. Benny Goodman; 4. Turkey; 5. Phoenix, AZ; 6. United States; 7. tightrope walker.
1. France; 2. Jon Stewart; 3. nosebleed; 4. "Breaking Bad;" 5. Monopoly.