We had a terrific crowd in on Tuesday night for Trivia, one of the best turnouts ever at The Mad Hatter. July was a terrific month in terms of teams coming out, and hopefully this positive trend continues. It was nice to see some old friends I had not seen in some time come out, and I can't thank you enough for your support.
We had 9 teams get all 7 of the General Knowledge questions correct, and it was one of those weeks where I didn't make it difficult enough. (I'll work on fixing that next week, folks!)
I also poorly worded one of the IQ Trivia questions, the one about the Whig Party. I should not have included the word "elected" in it, so I accepted both Millard Fillmore and Zachary Taylor. Sorry gang.
The team of Huma, You're Not Hillary won the night, getting 4 of the 5 IQ questions correct, and ended with 49 points and the victory. Second place went to The Trains In Spain Are Covered Mostly In Brain with 46 points, and third place went to Me and My Multiple Personalities & My Multiple Personalities, finishing with 40 points.
Best Team Name: Jayson Stark Raving Mad Hatters
1. What pop singer topped Forbes' 2013 list of the top earning celebrities under the age of 30?
2. What NYC venue was named the number one venue in the US in terms of ticket sales and the second-highest in the world, according to Billboard?
3. A 48-year-old man was arrested last week after he tweeted that he wanted to kill what female TV commentator by "stripping her naked and slitting her throat" over her disparaging remarks about Jodi Arias?
4. Prince Phillippe succeeded King Albert II as the reigning monarch of what European country last week?
5. The United Nations stated last Thursday that the ongoing civil war in what country now had a death toll of over 100,000?
6. What national monument was briefly closed this past weekend when it was discovered that there was green paint splattered on its base by unknown persons?
7. What troubled actress was ordered to remain on a psychiatric hold for another 2 weeks because she was ruled a danger to herself and others?
1. Madonna earned her first Golden Globe acting award for what 1990s film?
2. Who succeeded Margaret Thatcher as British prime minister after she resigned in 1990?
3. In what year was Bill Clinton acquitted in impeachment proceedings in the US Senate?
4. What country won soccer's World Cup in 1994, the first time it was ever played in the United States?
5. Johnny Carson left the "Tonight Show" as host after 30 years in what year?
6. What NFL team was the only team to win the Super Bowl three times in the 1990s?
7. Who memorably lit the Olympic torch to begin the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta?
Movie Heroes & Villains Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Little Bill Daggett
2. Rick Blaine
3. Biff Tannen
4. Ellen Ripley
5. Andy Dufresne
6. Bill The Butcher Cutting
7. Alex Forrest
8. Capt. John H. Miller
9. Rooster Cogburn
10. Tommy DeVito
1. Krakow is a major city in what European country? ( 1 pt)
2. "Tear down this wall" was a famous statement made by what US president? ( 1 pt)
3. What is the name for the natural phenomenon that comes from the Japanese words meaning "harbor wave?" ( 1 pt)
4. What name is given to a straight line drawn from the center of a circle to the circumference? ( 2 pt)
5. "The Borscht Belt" was a nickname for summer resorts in what American mountain range? ( 2 pt)
6. "Rosemary's Baby" was the first American film by what director? ( 2 pt)
7. In the game of "Monopoly," which denomination is colored green, like real US paper currency? ( 3 pt)
1. "Spasibo" is a word that means "thank you" in what language? ( 4 points)
2. What 1983 James Bond film is not considered an "official" film in the franchise because it was not produced by Eon Productions? ( 5 points)
3. What 19th century US president was the last one elected by the Whig Party? ( 3 points)
4. Serengeti National Park is located in what African country? ( 4 points)
5. What does one add to lemonade to make the non-alcoholic drink called an "Arnold Palmer?" ( 3 points)
1. Lady Gaga; 2. Barclays Center; 3. Nancy Grace; 4. Belgium; 5. Syria; 6. Lincoln Memorial; 7. Amanda Bynes.
1. "Evita;" 2. John Major; 3. 1999; 4. Brazil; 5. 1992; 6. Dallas Cowboys; 7. Muhammad Ali.
Movie Heroes & Villains Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Unforgiven; 2. Casablanca; 3. Back to the Future; 4. Alien; 5. The Shawshank Redemption; 6. Gangs of New York; 7. Fatal Attraction; 8. Saving Private Ryan; 9.Rooster Cogburn; 10. Goodfellas.
1. Poland; 2. Ronald Reagan; 3. tsunami; 4. radius; 5. Catskills; 6. Roman Polanski; 7. $20.
1. Russian; 2. "Never Say Never Again;" 3. Zachary Taylor; 4. Tanzania; 5. iced tea.