Saturday, December 31, 2011

Bidding 2011 Adieu

This is the 566th and final post of The Mighty Quinn Media Machine for 2011. It's been another successful year for this blog, but I did notice a trend here recently: I've been writing less as the years go on.

I wrote a high of 713 posts in 2008, but they have been declining every year since. Last year I did 635, but this year it's down by 69. My guess is the more time I've been spending on Facebook has taken away some of my writing here at the blog. And I also think that the Red Sox bomb-out last September probably entered into the decline as well.

Hopefully I'll beat 566 posts for 2012. We shall see.

(And today, we will most likely break the all-time record for the most number of hits on this blog in one single day. I write this at shortly after 11 AM, and we've had a staggering 435 hits here already, and the record is 583 for one day. We usually get about 100-120 per day. I'll have an update on that tomorrow.)

I want to thank each and every one of you who stop here and check on my ramblings from time to time, and especially to those of you who come here a little more often. You make it all worthwhile, and I wish you all the best for 2012.

New Year's Eve is generally a quiet time for me. I usually spend it at home with family and friends and watch the ball drop on TV. I have been to Times Square on New Year's Eve just once: in the movies. (I have been told that you can see me as a reveler in the new Garry Marshall film "New Year's Eve" that came out earlier this month. I haven't seen it yet, but I worked on it for six days as an extra this past March, April and September. And I pop up early in the film.) I have always said there are three types of people who go to Times Square on New Year's Eve: tourists, cops and pickpockets.

I will be watching the Twilight Zone and Honeymooners marathons today and tomorrow. My DVR will be getting the workout of its life over the next 48 hours! The Twilight Zone has already begun on SyFy and will run until the early morning hours of Monday. The Honeymooners will start at 11 PM tonight and run until 6 PM on Sunday on WPIX here in New York. It wouldn't be New Year's without them both. But one thing I can now live without is "New Year's Rockin' Eve" on ABC. I was always a fan of Dick Clark, but since he suffered his stroke and insists on appearing on it, I can't watch him try to speak. It's more sad than anything else. And don't get me started on the musical "talent" they usually parade in. Totally unwatchable.

So in honor of New Year's, here's my favorite Honeymooners clip, from "The Golfer," as Ed Norton tries to teach Ralph Kramden how to play golf. It's known as the "Hello Ball!" clip. (The episode will air at exactly midnight tonight.) Enjoy:



A Happy and Blessed New Year to all of you for 2012.

No comments: