It was a cold night in New York on Tuesday, but we still had 11 teams come out for Trivia, and a great night was had by all. Most teams did really well to open the night with Current Events, but it was a slog for most with "Academy Awards Trivia", and we had a six-way tie for third place entering the Q Train lightning round. But the guys from DIMS took off after that, and had three successive perfect rounds to win the night with 53 points. Congrats to Ken and Darek, who bounced back from a rare week last week where they finished out of the top three. Second place went to Amarillo with 43 points, and So When Alexa Pulled Out, Who Cleaned Up? finished third with 39 points. (They also won for Best Team Name.)
1. What pop singer recently pulled a line of shoes from her website after some fans compared them to looking like "blackface?"
2. Last week, the national debt reached what number of trillions of dollars, the highest number in history?
3. What seven-time Grammy-nominated pop singer was accused in a report last week of sexual misconduct by seven women, including his ex-wife?
4. William Barr was confirmed last week to what position in President Trump's cabinet?
5. Amazon announced last week that it will not be building a new headquarters in New York City, but will instead focus on building its other new HQ in what US state?
6. What shoe store chain announced last week they will closing the remainder of its 2100 US stores by this May, two years after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection?
7. What Texas-based airline declared an "operational emergency" after a number of planes taken out of service doubled and ordered all its mechanics to work or risk termination?
Academy Awards Trivia
1. What Academy Award-winning director has been "thanked" in 42 Oscar acceptance speeches, the most ever?
2. What 21st century Best Picture-winning film is generally acknowledged to have the highest on-screen body count of any film?
3. In 1995, what was the only animated film to win a special achievement Academy Award?
4. What film did Mel Brooks win his only Oscar for Best Original Screenplay?
5. For what comedy did Tom Hanks receive his first Oscar nomination?
6. In 1981, the Academy Awards ceremony was postponed for just the second time in its history and for 24 hours for what reason?
7. What actor is the most nominated male actor, with a total of 12 career acting nominations?
The Q Train: Oscar Nominations Trivia (More of Less than 5 Nominations)
1. Michelle Pfeiffer
2. Dustin Hoffman
3. Michael Caine
4. Bradley Cooper
5. Cate Blanchett
6. Gary Oldman
7. Christian Bale
8. Glenn Close
9. Daniel Day-Lewis
10. Samuel L. Jackson
1. In the comic strip "Peanuts", which character traveled in his own personal dust storm? ( 1 pt)
2. What actress was the face of the Thighmaster infomercials of the 1980s? ( 1 pt)
3. On which of Earth's continents will you find most of the planet's fresh water? ( 1 pt)
4. What company did Metallica sue in 2000 for copyright infringement? ( 2 pt)
5. What actress played FBI agent Clarice Starling in the film "Hannibal?" ( 2 pt)
6. In total, how many hurdles must a hurdler hurdle in an Olympic hurdles race? ( 2 pt)
7. As of 2018, the Center for Disease Control says the average height of an adult American man is how many inches (to the closest inch)? ( 3 pt)
1. What country is the largest royal family in the world from? ( 5 points)
2. The Washington Monument was significantly damaged in 2011 by what cause? ( 3 points)
3. What classic 1983 Brian DePalma film was originally given an "X" rating? ( 4 points)
4. Malay, Mandarin, Tamil and English are the four official languages of what country? ( 4 points)
5. The Beatles' second album "With the Beatles" was released in the UK on the same day as what other world event was occurring? ( 4 points)
1. Katy Perry; 2. 22; 3. Ryan Adams; 4. Attorney General; 5. Virginia; 6. Payless; 7. Southwest.
Academy Awards Trivia
1. Steven Spielberg; 2. "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King;" 3. "Toy Story;" 4. "The Producers;" 5. "Big;" 6. Reagan assassination attempt; 7. Jack Nicholson.
The Q Train: Oscar Nominations Trivia
1. Less (3); 2. more (70; 3. more (6); 4. less (4); 5. more (7); 6. less (2); 7. less (4); 8. more (7); 9. more (6); 10. less (1).
1. Pig Pen; 2. Suzanne Somers; 3. Antarctica; 4. Napster; 5. Julianne Moore; 6. 10; 7. 69.
1. Saudi Arabia; 2. earthquake; 3. "Scarface;" 4. Singapore; 5. JFK assassination.