We had a great night of Trivia on Tuesday night, with 15 teams in and a crowd really into the Q&A. It was one of those nights when I made the Q Train lightning round a bit easier than I would have liked, with 8 teams getting all ten correct. But in no other category did any team get a perfect score for any round. So, I suppose that balances out. But it was the team of Big Game Danny that won the night, as they were in first place throughout the night, and wound up winning winning with 44 points. My congratulations to Indy, Noah and Kyle on their first ever win, in their first time back at Trivia Night in over a year.
Second place went to State of the Onion with 39 points and DIMS finished in third place with 37 points.
Best Team Name: Ground Control to Professor Thom
1. What male singer announced last week that he will be forced to retire from touring after recently being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease?
2. What retail chain, which filed for bankruptcy protection last September, announced they are closing 180 stores around the US this year?
3. What film led the way with 13 Academy Award nominations last Tuesday?
4. What rock superstar announced last week he will make one last world tour of 300 concert dates and will retire from touring to spend more time with his family?
5. What Emmy-winning TV series from the 1990s is getting a reboot by CBS next season, exactly 20 years after it ended its 20-year run?
6. What magazine erased actor James Franco from its much coveted Hollywood portfolio cover last week due to the sexual misconduct allegations against him?
7. Ingvar Kamprad, who was worth $60 billion and was the 8th richest man in the world, died last Saturday in Sweden at the age of 91. What retail chain did he start in 1943?
Super Bowl Trivia
1. Which team won the first Super Bowl in 1967? a. Dallas; b. Green Bay; c. Pittsburgh; d. NY Jets.
2. Which of these NFC teams have the New England Patriots NOT beaten in the Super Bowl? a. Philadelphia; b. Carolina; c. Atlanta; d. Dallas.
3. Where is this year's Super Bowl being played? a. Miami; b. Minneapolis; c. Houston; d. Los Angeles.
4. Which team has appeared in the most Super Bowls? a. New England; b. Pittsburgh; c. Dallas; d. Denver.
5. How many Super Bowls have the Giants and Jets won combined? a. 3; b. 4; c. 5; d. 6.
6. What number Super Bowl is this year's game? a. 51; b. 52; c. 53; d. 54.
7. Name 2 of the 5 players to have won the Super Bowl MVP award at least twice.
The Q Train: 21st Century TV Characters
1. Francis Underwood
2. Liz Lemon
3. Tyrion Lannister
4. Michael Scott
5. Don Draper
6. Omar Little
7. Walter White
8. Carrie Mathieson
9. Brian Griffin
10. Selina Meyer
1. Benjamin Franklin famously said, "Nothing is certain except death and what?" ( 1 pt)
2. In September 2014, what nation voted not to ceded from the UK? ( 1 pt)
3. Robert Moog revolutionized music by designing a popular model of what instrument? ( 1 pt)
4. In 1986, what boxer defeated Trevor Berbick to become the youngest heavyweight champion in history? ( 2 pt)
5. Jared Leto won an Oscar in 2014 for what film? ( 2 pt)
6. Which US state has the motto "North to the Future?" ( 2 pt)
7. How many letters are there in the Hawaiian alphabet? ( 3 pt)
1. What pop singer is the only artist to have a number one Billboard album in six decades? ( 5 points)
2. What Asian country celebrates National Foundation Day every February 11th? ( 4 points)
3. Sir Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibnitz both developed what branch of mathematics? ( 3 points)
4. In the 1994 film "Forrest Gump", which US president does Forrest expose his butt to in doctored archival footage? ( 4 points)
5. Yerba Buena was the original name of what West Coast city, which was changed by the chief magistrate there in 1847? ( 4 points)
1. Neil Diamond; 2. Toys 'R' Us; 3. "The Shape of Water;" 4. Elton John; 5. "Murphy Brown;" 6. Vanity Fair; 7. IKEA.
Super Bowl Trivia
1. b; 2. d; 3. b; 4. c; 5. c; 6. b; 7. Tom Brady (4), Joe Montana (3), Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw and Eli Manning (2 each).
The Q Train: 21st Century Trivia
1. House of Cards; 2. 30 Rock; 3. Game of Thrones; 4. The Office; 5. Mad Men; 6. The Wire; 7. Breaking Bad; 8. Homeland; 9. Family Guy; 10. Veep.
1. Taxes; 2. Scotland; 3. synthesizer; 4. Mike Tyson; 5. "Dallas Buyers Club;" 6. Alaska; 7. 13.
1. Barbra Streisand; 2. Japan; 3. calculus; 4. Lyndon Johnson; 5. San Francisco.