The crowds keep getting bigger as the summer begins for Trivia at Professor Thom's, and we had 19 teams in last night. It was another spirited crowd that really enjoyed the night. It was good to see that, and thanks also to a few of my softball playing friends who came in last night and took part as one team.
It was a tight race all night, and by the time we reached IQ Trivia, it was a tie for first. But our friends from DIMS reached the winner's circle again, having a strong final round and winning with 50 points. Congratulations to them. Second place went to It's Worldwide, It's Worldwide with 41 points, and third place went to This Team Name Has Been Delayed By Train Traffic with 40 points.
Best Team Name: I've Been Waiting Five Years, But Trivia Baby Is Finally In The Oven
1. What Oscar-winning actor announced his retirement from acting last week & he'll have one final film released later this year?
2. What Oscar-winning filmmaker was announced last week as the new director of the Han Solo "Star Wars" spinoff movie, after the two original directors were recently fired?
3. What actor appeared at the Glastonbury music festival in England last week and told the assembled audience, "When was the last time an actor assassinated a president?" in his diatribes at President Trump?
4. What celebrity couple bought Jackie Kennedy's Cartier watch at auction in New York last week for $379,500?
5. Over 150 people were killed last Sunday when an overturned oil tanker exploded in what Asian country?
6. Markelle Fultz of the University of Washington was the first player taken in the NBA Draft last week and was selected by what team?
7. What controversial actor, who has appeared in two baseball movies, put a Babe Ruth World Series ring up for auction, and the bidding has topped more than $600,000, which will make it the highest-priced championship ring ever sold?
July 4th Trivia
1. On this day in 1826, what two former presidents both passed away on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence?
2. In 1976, Israeli commandos rescued hostages on an Air France jetliner at Entebbe Airport in what African country?
3. In 1863, the city of Vicksburg, MS surrendered after a 47-day siege to what Civil War Union general?
4. Ron Kovic, a Vietnam veteran and peace activist, was born on July 4, 1946. What Hollywood actor portrayed him in a film based on his life?
5. In 1881, Tuskegee University opened in what US state?
6. In 1855, "Leaves of Grass," the most famous book published by what American poet, was released in Brooklyn, NY?
7. George Steinbrenner was born on this day in 1930. How many World Series titles did the Yankees win with as the principal owner?
The Q Train: 2000s Album Trivia
1. Born This Way
2. Take Care
3. The Rising
5. Back to Black
6. Kid A
8. The 20/20 Experience (Part I)
9. The Suburbs
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
1. What musical group was Beyonce originally part of? ( 1 pt)
2. What American city holds the oldest annual marathon in the world? ( 1 pt)
3. The TV series "The Walking Dead" is set mainly in and around what major southern US city? ( 1 pt)
4. Hilary Swank won her first Best Actress Oscar for what film? ( 2 pt)
5. What is the only continent without an active volcano? ( 2 pt)
6. In what city is the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame located? ( 2 pt)
7. What sport would you make use of a cart called a sulky? ( 3 pt)
1. What is the smallest country in the world in terms of land area where French is an official language? ( 4 points)
2. Who was the only villain to appear in the first three of Christopher Nolan's "Batman" films? ( 4 points)
3. What Pulitzer Prize-winning novel was voted in 1999 as the best novel of the 20th century by American librarians? ( 4 points)
4. What Asian country was partitioned at the 17th Parallel by the Geneva Accords of 1954, though its own delegates refused to sign the agreement? ( 5 points)
5. Who was the best-selling music artist of the decade of the 2010s in the US, selling a combined 23.3 million albums and singles in this country? ( 3 points)
1. Daniel Day-Lewis; 2. Ron Howard; 3. Johnny Depp; 4. Kanye West & Kim Kardashian; 5. Pakistan; 6. Philadelphia 76ers; 7. Charlie Sheen.
July 4th Trivia
1. John Adams & Thomas Jefferson; 2. Uganda; 3. Ulysses S. Grant; 4. Tom Cruise; 5. Alabama; 6. Walt Whitman; 7. seven.
The Q Train: 2000s Albums Trivia
1. Lady Gaga; 2. Drake; 3. Bruce Springsteen; 4. Taylor Swift; 5. Amy Winehouse; 6. Radiohead; 7. Outkast; 8. Justin Timberlake; 9. Arcade Fire; 10. U2.
1. Destiny's Child; 2. Boston; 3. Atlanta; 4. "Boys Don't Cry;" 5. Australia; 6. Springfield. MA; 7. harness racing.
1. Monaco; 2. The Scarecrow; 3. "To Kill a Mockingbird; 4. Vietnam; 5. Adele.