It was a light night on Tuesday, as we had just 10 teams in for Trivia Night. Don't know what kept many folks away. Maybe they are sending me a message? I hope not.
We had some strong scores from those folks who came out, especially for Time Zones Trivia and General Knowledge. It was a close match throughout the evening, and going into the final round, the top five teams were separated by just five points.
The team in third place, Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead! Good Riddance, Chancellor Klein! came from third place with a perfect 5 for 5 in IQ Trivia to win the night by eight points. No other team in the round got more than three correct.
Second place went to Now Joe Is Going To Make a Michael Jackson Noise, and third place went to Ol' School Bean Eating Chowderheadz, who finished three points out of second.
Best Team Name: The Team Formerly Known as Joe and Adam: The Bruins Win The Cup
1. Forbes.com recently selected their "10 Most Powerful People in the World" and Barack Obama was picked number two. Which country's president was selected as number one?
2. What 1970s teen idol was arrested in Florida on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol last Thursday?
3. Sparky Anderson, the first MLB manager to win the World Series in both leagues, died last Thursday at the age of 76. Name 1 of the 2 MLB teams he won the World Series with.
4. A rare baseball card of MLB Hall of Famer Honus Wagner was sold recently for nearly $262,000 at auction. What group, who inherited the card, benefited from the sale?
5. What female author, an American of Irish descent who has sold over 80 million books in her career, was chosen as the Grand Marshal of the 2011 New York St. Patrick's Day Parade?
6. Outgoing Florida governor Charlie Crist said he is considering granting a pardon to what late rock star, who was convicted of profanity and indecent exposure charges in Florida during a show there in 1969?
7. What film, which debuted this past weekend, grossed over $47 million at the box office and became the number one movie in America?
Q Are You?
1. This man was born in Lynwood, CA in 1955. He's an actor, producer, director and musician. He's won 2 Academy Awards and 2 Golden Globe Awards, has released 2 CDs with a country rock band & was inducted into the Irish American Baseball Hall of Fame in 2008 for his work in films of that genre.
2. This man was born in Refugio, TX in 1947. He is a Hall of Fame baseball player, having pitched in a record 27 seasons for 4 teams, winning one World Series. He holds numerous records but never won a Cy Young Award. He is now part-owner of the last team he played for.
3. This woman was born in Memphis, TN in 1942. She's one of the most renowned singers of all-time, having won 18 Grammys in her career. She was the first female inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Rolling Stone ranked her #1 on its list of The Greatest Singers of All-Time.
4. This man was born in Newburgh, NY in 1947. He worked in advertising until 1996, when he became a full-time writer. He has been a prolific thriller author and holds the record for most titles ever on the New York Times bestseller list with 56, and his best known books feature a character named Alex Cross.
5. This man was born in Hayward, CA in 1972. He was a college football player on a national title team, but turned to his family's business after college, pro wrestling. By the turn of the 1990s, he was one of the world's best known wrestlers before turning to acting & dropped his ring name in films in 2007.
6. This woman was born in Santa Barbara, CA in 1984. She began her recording career with an unsuccessful gospel album in 2001. She released an Internet single in 2008 that was an international hit, and she's had two number one singles in the US in 2010.
7. This man was born in Schenectady, NY in 1952. He was a respected screen actor during the 1980s, but gave up his career to become a boxer in 1991. After that was unsuccessful, he returned to acting with little success until he received an Oscar nomination in 2008.
Time Zones Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Salt Lake City, UT
2. New Orleans, LA
3. Detroit, MI
4. Vancouver, BC
5. Las Vegas, NV
6. Cheyenne, WY
7. Toronto, ONT
8. Austin, TX
9. St. Louis, MO
10. Cleveland, OH
1. What US state is nicknamed "The Cornhusker State?" ( 1 pt)
2. Which actress played Rachel Green on the TV series "Friends?" ( 1 pt)
3. Pete Best was the original drummer of what legendary rock band? ( 1 pt)
4. Haile Selassie was once emperor of what African country? ( 2 pt)
5. Margaret Mitchell won a Pulitzer Prize in 1937 for what epic novel? ( 2 pt)
6. The failed "Gunpowder Plot" is remembered every year in the UK as what holiday? ( 2 pt)
7. How many GB of hard disk space was there on Apple's first iPod launched in 2001?
1. World War II's Battle of the Coral Sea was the first naval battle in history that exclusively used only what? ( 4 points)
2. Who was the only king of France ever to be executed? ( 4 points)
3. Who famously took the photograph known as "The Blue Marble" in 1972? ( 4 points)
4. "Scousers" is a slang term to describe the inhabitants of what British city? ( 5 points)
5. Ronnie Van Zant was the lead singer of what 1970s rock group before he died in a plane crash? ( 3 points)
1. China (Hu Jintao); 2. David Cassidy; 3. Cincinnati Reds and Detroit Tigers; 4. Roman Catholic nuns; 5. Mary Higgins Clark; 6. Jim Morrison; 7. "Megamind."
Q Are You?
1. Kevin Costner; 2. Nolan Ryan; 3. Aretha Franklin; 4. James Patterson; 5. Dwayne Johnson; 6. Katy Perry; 7. Mickey Rourke.
Time Zones Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Mountain; 2. Central; 3. Eastern; 4. Pacific; 5. Pacific; 6. Mountain; 7. Eastern; 8. Central; 9. Central; 10. Eastern.
1. Nebraska; 2. Jennifer Aniston; 3. The Beatles; 4. Ethiopia; 5. "Gone With The Wind;" 6. Guy Fawkes Day; 7. five.
1. Airplanes; 2. Louis XVI; 3. Apollo 17 astronauts; 4. Liverpool; 5. Lynyrd Skynyrd.